|PERSON SPECIFICATION FOR THE POST OF:
SICAP OUTREACH COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT WORKER
|Purpose of the Post||The Outreach Community Development Worker will be responsible for:
· Establishing contact with individuals and groups in local communities especially disadvantaged communities targeted under SICAP 2018 – 2022
· Supporting local communities in collective action to address local issues and develop community initiatives
· Linking individuals and groups in disadvantaged communities to resources and supports available through state agencies and other service providers
· Linking individuals and groups to resources available through County Wicklow Partnership (CWP) including SICAP, RDP, TUS / RSS and Community Employment
· Promoting social inclusion in local communities through effective use of community development principles and practice
|Principal Duties and Responsibilities||The duties of the Outreach Community Development Worker will include:
· Establishing initial contact with individuals and groups in a number of local community settings across County Wicklow
· Supporting local communities to engage in collective action and form / re-establish local community groups
· Referral of individuals interested in SICAP services to CWP colleagues
· Supporting local community groups to develop projects to address needs in disadvantaged areas
· Linking local community groups to supports including local and national funding sources and education / training services
· Organising and delivering supports and training to Local Community Groups for example organisational skills training, governance training, awareness raising workshops and leadership training courses
· Coordinating and delivering pre-developed training programmes for a specific cohort of individuals in local communities e.g. parenting training courses, youth training programme
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to be a complete list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
|Previous Experience Related to the Position||· Experience of working with groups and individuals in a community setting
· Knowledge and understanding of community development principles.
· Knowledge and understanding of the impact of social exclusion and marginalisation.
· Knowledge of the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP)
· Experience and understanding of inter-agency work.
· Experience and knowledge of sourcing funds, and making funding applications.
· Experience and understanding of group facilitation.
· Understanding of group process.
|Relevant Training or Qualifications||It is desirable that the applicant hold a relevant qualification in some or any of the following-: Community Development, Youth Work, Social Sciences, Education or a related field.
Where an applicant does not have a relevant qualification s/he must demonstrate substantial experience, knowledge and ability in relation to the position on offer.
|Skills and Abilities||· Excellent Communication Skills (written and interpersonal) in relation to a range of groups and individuals.
· Ability to engage with target groups in identifying their needs and assisting in the development of appropriate responses.
· Ability to develop positive working relationships with a range of groups and agencies.
· Ability to work on own initiative.
· Good Organisational and Administrative Skills. (E.g. report writing, record keeping and ability to work to deadlines).
· Good Networking Skills.
· Have a good level of I.T. skills.
· Basic financial and budgetary skills
|Personal Attributes||· Non-judgmental, empathic approach and attitude.
· Commitment to working within an equality framework and working from an anti-racism perspective
· Commitment to applying community development principles in the carrying out of the assigned tasks
· Have a strong desire to support and empower individuals and communities to overcome marginalisation and disadvantage.
· Proactive Team Member.
· Be self-motivated, flexible and able to work on own initiative.
· Be willing to work outside normal office hours.
· A driving license and own transport.
|Location of Work||The Outreach Worker will be based in the CWP Arklow office, Arklow River House, Bridgewater Centre, Arklow and will have a remit of covering the Arklow, Baltinglas and Wicklow Municipal Districts working closely with disadvantaged individuals and groups within areas targeted under the SICAP Strategic Plan for County Wicklow (LOT15-2) 2018 – 2022.|
|Reporting||The Outreach Community Development Worker will report to the SICAP (Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme) Coordinator|
|Contract Duration||The Outreach Community Development Worker will be employed for an initial one year contract in a half post position [0.5 WTE] with a pro-rata salary. Continuation of the position is subject to funding. The successful candidate is required to serve a probationary six month period.|
Applications by post only to:
Eibhlis Forde, ‘Private & Confidential Outreach Community Development Worker’, County Wicklow Community Partnership, 3RD Floor, Avoca River House, Arklow, Co. Wicklow. For a full job description please see the News section of our website: www.wicklowpartnership.ie. Closing date for receipt of completed applications is 5.00 p.m. on Friday, 18th January 2019.