Part-time SICAP Community Development Officer
County Wicklow Community Partnership CLG is a Local Development Company that delivers a range of social inclusion, enterprise, employment and community development programmes for individuals and communities in County Wicklow.
County Wicklow Partnership has been awarded the contract to deliver the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) 2018-2022 by the Wicklow Local Community Development Committee for the municipal districts of Baltinglass, Wicklow and Arklow. SICAP 2018-2022 aims to reduce poverty and promote social inclusion and equality in Ireland through supporting communities and individuals using community development approaches, engagement and collaboration.
To this end, County Wicklow Partnership wishes to appoint a part-time Community Development Officer. The role of the Community Development Officer is to drive community engagement and development work with a view to increasing civic participation; health and wellbeing across our communities through focussing on priority actions within our programmes. The role also seeks to actively engage communities in making sense of the issues which affect their lives, setting goals for improvement and responding to problems and needs through empowerment and active participation.
The duties of the Community Development Officer will include:
- Apply a broad range of community development and engagement processes and practices to assist CWP and the community to identify and implement local priorities
- Build relationships and networks with residents and community groups to encourage their participation in local activities and projects, with particular emphasis on hard to engage /disengaged residents to strengthen civic participation
- Supporting local communities to engage in collective action and form / re-establish local community groups
- Assist skills development of potential community leaders, volunteers, community groups and local representative working groups (committee) members
- Develop professional working relationships with all target group members, stakeholders and target groups and maintain regular communication throughout the development lifecycle
- Coordinate and deliver pre-developed training programmes for individuals in local communities e.g. a parenting training courses, youth training programme
- Monitor satisfaction levels of individuals and groups engaged with
- Adhere to the guidelines of the Programme(s) and operational procedures within CWP ensuring strict adherence to them at all times
- Keep appropriate and up-to-date records of all project activities and prepare and update client and group records in adherence with use and data protection policies
- Prepare reports on programme activities and actions as requested by the Board, CEO and Programme Manager
The position is for an initial one-year contract in a half post position [0.5 WTE] with a pro-rata salary.
Applications by post only to:
Applicants should submit their CV as well as a letter of application outlining your suitability for the role to ‘Private & Confidential Part-time Community Development Officer’, County Wicklow Community Partnership, 3RD Floor, Avoca River House, Arklow, Co. Wicklow. For a full job description please see the News section of our website: www.wicklowpartnership.ie.
Closing Date: 5pm, Friday 19th April 2019
Applicants will be shortlisted for interview. Candidates selected for interview will be notified on 22nd April 2019 and candidates must be available for interview on Monday 29th April 2019.
Canvassing in any form will disqualify
County Wicklow Partnership is an equal opportunities employer
“The Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) 2018-2022 is funded by the Irish Government through the Department of Rural and Community Development and co-funded by the European Social Fund under the Programme for Employability, Inclusion and Learning (PEIL) 2014-2020”
PERSON SPECIFICATION FOR THE POST OF:
Part-time SICAP Community Development Officer
|Purpose of the Post||County Wicklow Partnership has been awarded the contract to deliver the Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme (SICAP) 2018-2022 by the Wicklow Local Community Development Committee for the municipal districts of Baltinglass, Wicklow and Arklow. SICAP 2018-2022 aims to reduce poverty and promote social inclusion and equality in Ireland through supporting communities and individuals using community development approaches, engagement and collaboration.
The role of the SICAP Community Development Officer is to drive community engagement and development work with a view to increasing civic participation; health and wellbeing across our communities through focussing on priority actions within our programmes. The role also seeks to actively engage communities in making sense of the issues which affect their lives, setting goals for improvement and responding to problems and needs through empowerment and active participation.
|Principal Duties and Responsibilities||
Tasks may involve:
· Identifying community skills, assets, issues and needs
· Building links between target groups / communities and relevant agencies
· Liaising with interested groups and individuals to set up new services or projects aiming to address social inclusion related issues
· Planning, attending and coordinating meetings and events
· Planning and organising training courses which will be delivered by other companies/trainers
· Organising, designing and facilitating training courses e.g. parenting courses
· Overseeing the management of project budgets
· Implementing innovative methods of engaging communities
The above duties and responsibilities are not intended to be a complete list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.
|Relevant Training or Qualifications||The following qualifications and/or experience are required for the position:
· Relevant tertiary qualifications in community development or related field
· Substantial experience working in a community development environment with diverse target groups
· Current Driver License and access to own transport
The following qualifications and/or experience are desirable for the position:
· Experience in a similar role
|Experience, Skills and Abilities||The following knowledge and skills are required to be demonstrated and utilised:
· Demonstrated knowledge of community development principles and practices
· Demonstrated and developed excellent facilitation and community engagement skills
· Relevant technology skills to deliver the requirements of the role
· Excellent communication, interpersonal and team building skills
· Good listening skills
· Ability to engage with target groups in identifying their needs and assisting in the development of appropriate responses
· Ability to develop positive working relationships with a range of groups and agencies
· Proven ability to manage own time, set priorities, plan and organize work to meet timelines
· Advocacy and networking skills
· Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
· Basic financial and budgetary skills
· Experience and knowledge of sourcing funds, and making funding applications
· Knowledge and understanding of community and social issues
· A non-judgemental and positive attitude
· Creative thinking and problem-solving ability
· Compassion and the ability to empathise with people’s life experiences
· Be willing to work outside normal office hours
|Location of Work||The SICAP Community Development Officer will be based in the CWP Arklow office, Arklow River House, Bridgewater Centre, Arklow and will have a remit of covering the Arklow, Baltinglas and Wicklow Municipal Districts working closely with disadvantaged individuals and groups within areas targeted under the SICAP Strategic Plan for County Wicklow (LOT15-2) 2018 – 2022.|
|Reporting||The SICAP Community Development Officer will report to the SICAP (Social Inclusion and Community Activation Programme) Coordinator|
The SICAP Community Development Officer will be employed for an initial one-year contract in a half post position [0.5 WTE] with a pro-rata salary. Continuation of the position is subject to funding. The successful candidate is required to serve a probationary six month period.