Deirdre O’Sullivan from our Wicklow Child and Family Project is back with Tip #5
This is a very unsettling time for all of us even our smallies. Today we are going to look at how to reassure those in the age 6 to 10 bracket. Kids this age need age appropriate information of they will try to rationalise things themselves often resulting in the wrong conclusion which in turn heightens their anxiety. So what can you do as parents? Pick a relaxed time in the day to have your chat. Keep it informal, even the innocent feels guilty when they asked to go to the principal’s office.
- Reassure them that you are doing everything to keep your family safe.
- Let them ask questions, be prepared this age group are very inquisitive so be prepared for “Who, What, Where, When & How”.
- Share how you’re feeling with them as it normalises things for them. For example, if you tell them your “fed up” then when they feel “fed up” it will seem OK to be “fed up”.
- And I’m back to my favourite word, be consistent in your daily routines, in what you say and in how you deal with things. Consistency brings normality.
- Try and include ways for your kids to link with their friends either by What’s App, Skype or Zoom, whatever is available to you. If you’re unsure how it works, ask your kids they’ll sort it for you.
Idea for Today
There are amazing resources available to you. Wicklow County Council have a beautiful book on Gardening for Biodiversity and its FREE. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for you free copy today.