Since 2002 Arklow Springboard Family Support Service has continued to develop and respond to presenting needs of vulnerable families in Arklow Town and surrounding areas. The Family Support Service (established under the Department of Health and Children Springboard Initiative) provides a community based family support service to local families in Arklow Town and surrounding areas. This project is hosted by County Wicklow Partnership Ltd., in partnership with the HSE.
The Springboard initiative recognises that families should be supported within their own communities. Arklow Springboard Family Support Service is therefore locally based, accessible to local families and is user friendly in the approach undertaken to family support work.
Aims of Arklow Springboard
The aim of Arklow Springboard is to:
- Provide appropriate support to families experiencing difficulties in Arklow Town and surrounding area.
- To make a planned intervention that assists the family.
- To develop and implement educational and parenting courses which meet the needs of the family.
- To reduce risk to children by enhancing family life.
- To prevent avoidable entry of children into the care system.
- To provide direct services to children.
- To build support networks for families in the community.
- To advocate on behalf of the service users with other agencies.
- To enable families to become self-reliant and independent of the services.
- To recognise and identify the difficulties that families experience and work towards tackling these.
The Project is based at 27 Ferrybank, Arklow.
Ms Martina Deasy – Manager
Ms Karen Carter – Project Worker
Ms Catriona Cooke – Project Worker
Ms. Paula Murphy – Project Worker
Ms. Laura Murphy – Project Worker
Ms Ellen Nolan – Administrator
Arklow Springboard accepts referrals from families themselves, agencies working with families such as schools, Public Health Nurses, Social Workers, Gardaí, I.S.P.C.C. and other agencies working with families. A central aspect of any referral is the commitment by the family to engage with the service. All programmes of work with the family is by their consent and their full agreement to participate in the programme. The work with families can involve the following:
- Home visit
- Parenting Programmes
- Adult in house courses in computers, photography, cookery etc
- Homework Club
- Counselling for Parents
- Coffee Mornings
- ADHD Support Group
- Healthy lifestyle Programme
- Focused groups for children
- Confidence Building
- Summer Programme
- School Break’s Programme
The Annual Report for 2010 outlines the programmes delivered by the Project Workers in Arklow Springboard.
The overview of work outlined in our Annual Report reflects the commitment and dedication of the Staff Team in continuing to meet the needs of the clients presenting to Arklow Springboard. There are many presenting crises and issues on a daily basis. This can be difficult for the service to manage in terms of providing a short term to long term care plan for families as well as responding to families who present in crisis and require support.
Arklow Springboard is committed to delivering a range of services to families in Arklow Town and surrounding areas. The Project will continue to advocate on behalf of families and work in partnership with other agencies in meeting their needs.
Manager: Ms. Martina Deasy
Phone: 0402 24828 Mobile: 085 8006880 Fax: 0402 31775
Opening hours: 9. am – 5pm Monday to Friday